Saturday, February 5, 2011

Posole





Sorry it has been a while.  Sometimes life just gets in the way of what you want to do.  But it is a perfect time to make posole.  It is traditionally a pork and hominy stew from Jalisco Mexico.  Not being a pork eater I make it with chicken.  You can use either or both if you prefer.  I have also seen it made with chorizo and shredded pork.  However you make it it is warm and wonderful, especially when it is cold.

I got this recipe from The Gourmet Cookbook.  I love this cookbook almost as much as I love my copy of Joy of Cooking.  This is one of those wonderful stews that improves over time.  After a day or two the flavors are even better.

2 dried pasilla chilies or New Mexico chilies (or whatever Mexican dried chilies I can find)
2 dried guajillo chilies
2 cups water
2 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican), crumbled
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 large garlic clove, crushed (I usually use a bit more since I like garlic)
1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped (I have used canned tomatoes in the middle of winter, I usually use a 12 oz can of chopped tomatoes, fire roasted ones taste really good in this)
1/2 white onion, coarsely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
2 pounds chicken, fat trimmed (I use whole boneless, skinless breasts which I keep whole, usually about 2-3 breasts)
3 (15 ounce) cans white hominy, rinsed and drained

Accompaniments: chopped radishes, white onion, fresh cilantro, lettuce, fresh chilies, lime wedges, and warm corn or flour tortillas or tortilla chips. 

Stem and seed chilies.  Combine with the water in a small sauce pan, bring to a simmer, and then simmer until softened about 15 minutes.

Transfer chilies, with cooking water, to a blender.  Add remaining ingredients except chicken and hominy and blend until smooth.  Use caution blending hot liquids.

Put chile puree into 4-quart heavy saucepan add chicken and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour or until chicken is barely done.

Remove chicken from pot and place on a cutting board.  Using your hands or a fork shred the chicken.  Once chicken is shredded add it back to the pot.  Then add hominy and simmer, covered, until chicken is tender and hominy is softened, about 30 minutes more.  Skim off any fat and season with salt to taste.  I don't usually add any more salt at this point. 

Serve with accompaniments.  We like using radishes, limes, tortilla chips, and sometimes chilies. 

I do vary the amount of chilies I use. If they are small or break while I am cleaning them I might use 3-4 chilies.  If you want to use pork the recipe calls for 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 inch cubes.  I like it with shredded meat so you could cut the pork into smaller bits and then shred it before serving like I do with the chicken. 

This is a truly yummy stew and wonderful comfort food when it is cold outside. 



Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Your posole is just what this girl needs to warm up after this last blast of snow we received, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete