Sunday, December 12, 2010

More Cupcakes

So I tried my hand at chocolate cupcakes.  I was not completely sold on the cake recipe, it was yummy and very tasty but not quite what I wanted.  I added 4 ounces of melted milk chocolate to my yellow cupcakes and it tasted fine, but was not the best chocolate cake.  I have some ideas on how to improve the cake and once I get this to where I am satisfied I will post the recipe.  I am posting this because of what I did to the cupcakes after I made them.

My sister in law makes the best chocolate pudding.  We thought that the pudding would go well in the yellow cupcakes.  I thought that I would add the chocolate pudding to the chocolate cupcakes.  So I made the pudding and the cupcakes and then hollowed out the middles of the cakes.  I filled the cakes with the pudding and then frosted with marshmallow fluff.  I then toasted the marshmallow frosting with the kitchen torch. 

The end result was very yummy, just not quite what I was wanting.  I will try making marshmallow frosting the next time since the fluff got a bit runny at room temperature and kind of melted off the cupcakes.  But the idea is sound.  I plan to try more chocolate cupcakes soon and will let you know how it goes.  But until then, here is the pudding recipe:

Chocolate Pudding
2 cups whole milk (you can use half and half or cream as well, but it will make it very rich)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tablespoons white sugar
3 Tablespoons unsweeted cocoa powder (I used ground chocolate)
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 - 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (optional)
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (I used a 100% cacao bar)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine 1/2 cup milk with sugars, cornstarch, cocoa and salt.  Mix well and eliminate all lumps.  You can put this mixture in a jar; screw on the lid and shake well until combined.

Heat 1 1/2 cups milk in saucepan over medium heat.  When small bubbles appear on the side of the pan add cocoa mixture and whisk until the mix thickens.  Turn off heat and whisk in chocolate and vanilla.

Spoon into serving containers.  When cool enough for your taste, serve.  You can eat it plain or add whipped cream.  When we eat this pudding by itself we usually use the whipped cream to make it less dense and rich.  It is a very dark chocolate pudding.  It also does not last very long.  I liked it with the addition of  the pepper, it gave it a little kick.  I am planning to try replacing the vanilla with other liquids.  I am already thinking of Bailey's Irish Cream, Godiva chocolate liqueur, and possibly something raspberry flavored (Chambord or simply raspberry puree). 

This is one of those great pudding recipes.  I will get the pudding that is my family holiday tradition up soon.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, chocolate liqueur might makes this too addicting. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete