Monday, November 15, 2010

WARNING: this recipe is highly addictive.

So I got this recipe for Chex mix from a friend.  She warned me that is is highly addictive but I figured how bad could it be?  I have made 2 batches in 3 days and none of it lasted long enough to get a photo of it.  I will try to take a picture when I make it next week for Thanksgiving.

It is super easy and smells wonderful too.

Rollergirl Chex mix

6-8 Tablespoons butter (I used 8)
2 Tablespoons GF soy sauce
2-3 Tablespoons Siracha sauce (the chile sauce in the bottle with the rooster) - I used 3 Tbs.
1 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (I used Lawry's)
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
9-10 cups Chex (obviously use the GF varieties)
Peanuts, GF pretzels, what ever else you might want to put in

Melt the butter then add all ingredients except the Chex and any other add ins.  Stir to combine.  Put Chex and whatever else you are putting in in a large bowl.  Add butter mixture and stir to coat Chex well.
Once combined, microwave for 2 minutes. Stir.  Microwave 1 minute.  Stir.  Microwave 30 seconds. Stir.  Continue microwaving in 30 second increments and stirring in between until mixture is brown and crispy.  Do not let it burn.  You can also put the mixture on a large cookie sheet in a 300 oven and heat it that way stirring often.  I like not turning on my oven and having it be ready in about 5 minutes. 

The mix is good hot but will crisp up a bit more when cooled.  Store in an air-tight container.

When I made it the first time I used the last of the GF pretzels I had plus some roasted, unsalted soy nuts and sunflower seeds.  The second time I made it I just used the soy nuts.  Either way it was delicious.  I made the first batch on Wednesday  and the second batch was gone by Saturday morning.

This is a wonderful snack, it has heat and flavor.  The downside it that you just can't stop eating it.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I might have to try this. If I want to cook it in the oven how long should i bake it?

    ReplyDelete