Monday, October 25, 2010

Pumpkin Muffins

This last weekend we had a party where the theme ingredient was pumpkin.  I did not want to be too ordinary but I wanted something sweet that I could eat so I made pumpkin muffins.






I found a basic recipe on Cooks.com and then adapted it to be gluten free and more like something I would eat.  They were a big hit and more of them were eaten than the other muffins with gluten in them.  They are really moist and light with a great texture.

Dry ingredients:
3 1/3 cups gluten free flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons Xanthan gum
2 cups sugar (I used turbinado sugar)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground mace

Wet ingredients:
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 cups pumpkin
2 Tablespoons molasses

Preheat oven to 350.  Sift together dry ingredients into a large bowl.  Combine wet ingredients together in another bowl and then add to dry ingredients.  Mix well. 

Prepare muffin tins and add batter.  I filled mine pretty full (a bit over 3/4 full) since gluten free baked goods don't rise as much.  They baked for 25 minutes in my oven, but I started checking them at 20 minutes.  20-30 minutes should cover most ovens.  A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. It does depend on the oven and how full you filled the muffin tins.  Remove muffins from tins after about 5-10 minutes.  If you leave them in the pan too long the bottoms will get wet and soggy from condensation.  They can cool on a plate or a cooling rack just as easily.  Plus then you can try one to make sure that they are good.  Then you can have a second one 'just to be sure.'

I got about 2 1/2 dozen muffins from this recipe.  I also made a wonderful pumpkin soup, I did not get a picture of that but I will get the recipe up soon.  It was easy and really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment