Saturday, September 11, 2010

Cupcakes!!

So I tried my hand at cupcakes.  I like cupcakes because they are just the right amount of cake and frosting.  This time I started with a wonderful recipe from 'Joy of Cooking' I have the 1997 version and I love it.  It is my cooking bible.  I think every person should have that one cookbook that they use over and over for ideas and inspiration.  I chose the 1-2-3-4 yellow cake recipe partly because it just sounded yummy and partly for the preparation which I thought would make the cake less dense.  I pretty much followed the recipe but I want to make them again and maybe fill them with chocolate.  Or jam, or a fresh fruit puree, or caramel...




So here is the recipe for Joy of Cooking gluten free 1-2-3-4 yellow cupcakes:

Have all ingredients at room temperature.  Preheat the oven to 350 and prepare your cupcake tins.  You can grease them or use the little paper cups which I prefer so I don't have as much cleanup.  Again I used Bettes featherlight rice flour mix, I just like the mouth feel it provides to baked goods.

Sift together twice:
2 2/3 cup gluten free flour mix
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon Xanthan gum (you can also use Guar gum)
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a different bowl combine:
1 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla (or almond extract or lemon extract or a combination of extracts)

In a large bowl beat until creamy (about 30 seconds)
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter

Once butter is creamy add gradually and beat on high speed until lightened in color and texture
1 1/2 cups sugar (vanilla sugar would be nice to use here)

Add 1 at a time: 4 egg yolks (save the whites we will use them later)

Once the eggs are blended into the sugar butter mixture add the flour in 3 parts and the milk mixture in 2 parts.  Beat on low speed after each addition, use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.  Once the ingredients are combined set the bowl aside.

In another large bowl (I just wash the flour bowl and re-use it), beat on medium speed until soft peaks form:

4 large egg whites
scant 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

gradually add, beating on high speed: 1/4 cup sugar

Beat until the peaks are stiff but not dry.  (stiff peaks hold their shape after the mixer is removed from the bowl)

Using a rubber spatula, add 1/4 of the egg whites into the bowl with the flour mixture.  Once that is incorporated, fold in the remaining whites.

Using a ice cream scoop, or what ever method you prefer, put the batter into the prepared cupcake tins.  I usually get 2 1/2 dozen cupcakes from this recipe.

Bake until a toothpick inserted into the enter comes out clean 25-35 minutes.  Check after 20-25 minutes to be sure that the cupcakes are not overcooked.  Remove from cupcake tins, don't leave the cupcakes in the hot tins too long as it will make the bottoms wet and soggy.  Let cool completely and frost.

I make my own frosting but you can use any type of gluten free frosting and decorations you want.  I make a basic white icing: Combine 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 1/2 stick of butter (4 Tablespoons)  when combined add 3-4 Tablespoons milk or any liquid (you can add prepared coffee or liquor here), 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon salt.  Combine and correct the consistency to what you want.  

You can add lemon juice as the liquid and some grated lemon zest and make lemon frosting, or use oranges for orange frosting, or powdered chocolate, or use coffee as the liquid and then add the powdered chocolate for a mocha frosting. You are only limited by your own imagination.  If you are not sure how it will taste take a small part of the sugar/butter mixture and experiment with it.


I like to use a pastry bag to frost cupcakes since you have more control and there is less chance to damage the cupcakes.  You can use a plastic baggie with a corner cut off in place of a pastry bag.  I don't use any of my decorating tips since I don't have any that I feel are big enough for frosting so I just pipe it out the end of the bag.


For this cupcake I used chocolate ganache: heat 1 cup cream until just boiling remove from the heat and add 4 oz chopped chocolate stir to combine and then let sit for 10 minutes.  Stir until perfectly smooth and then let cool to the desired consistency.  I simply dipped the tops of the cupcake in the ganache and let it cool some more.  I used edible pearls on top for decoration.



This cupcake has the basic white frosting with vanilla added.  I used the pastry bag to pipe the frosting on the cake and then used red decorating sugar and a chocolate chip on top.

These are probably some of the best cupcakes I have ever made, and people don't believe me when I tell them they are gluten free.

Enjoy!  Next time soft chewy pretzels.

1 comment: